Friday, October 21, 2011

Feeling Pinspired!



I pinned this recipe, if you can call it that, for roasted smashed potatoes a few weeks ago and have been waiting for the right meal to try it. Since today is rainy, chilly, and Wednesday, I gave 'em a shot.

Do they not look amazing?  America's Test Kitchen (the source of the recipe) says "Crispy smashed potatoes are the best of both worlds, delivering mashed potato creaminess with the crackling crisp crust of roasted potatoes."

As usual, I did not fully grasp the details of the cooking process. Fortunately, I wrote this post before actually cooking, so I forced myself to take the time and, you know, read the whole thing. I'm glad I did, as I was fully planning on boiling the tatties, then smashing them on the baking sheet and roasting. This was causing me a small frisson of irritation, as already I had a dirty stock pot, and pressure canner, and slow cooker taking up precious sink space; the thought of adding yet another pot to the pile was stressing me out.

Here's what mine looked like:
 Aside from the fact that I still haven't mastered the lighting setting on my phone, so everything has a yellow tint, they looked very similar to the Pinspiration photo. Well, ok, they would have looked similar if I'd actually let them roast for the full 30 minutes - but mama was hungry and it was late. Still... survey says: delicious! M. and I enjoyed the heck out of them.

If you want to make them, I strongly suggest using a flat-bottomed, heavy glass to smash the potatoes. I had issues with the baking sheet smashing and switched my technique, to great success.

No comments :

Post a Comment