Thursday, June 16, 2011

Chard and eggs and feta, oh my!

Usually I plan our meals out on Monday, and shop once for the week. I didn't manage to get that done this time, though, so our dinners have been very haphazard. Tuesday night I pulled a big sirloin out of the freezer to thaw, with the intention of having teriyaki steak last night. But of course I knew it wouldn't have thawed in time. I'm not quite sure how I thought 20 hours would be sufficient.

So on my way home I stopped at Mildred's Meadows. Jessica, who runs the place, is a trained chef, so I love going in without any preconceived notions and just having her point me to what would be good for dinner. And everything's local and mostly organic, to boot! Thanks to her suggestion, we had a fritatta with swiss chard, red onion, and literally the most delicious goat feta you could imagine. Garden salad on the side. And leftover shortcake, sans strawberries because we ate them all, and ice cream to finish. I nearly swooned.

A quick shoutout to Jessica, again, for her Tuscan potato salad. Who knew that asparagus and sun dried tomatoes would be such stellar additions to potatoes? Genius.

Super exciting moment for me, too - nearly everything that went into the meal came from within 100 miles. A girl could get used to this.

No comments :

Post a Comment