Sunday, July 3, 2011

Saturday's lesson

July 2nd was a textbook beautiful summer day here in upstate NY. Sunny, hot but not humid, with a smattering of puffy white clouds. Perfect for all sorts of activities. My original plan for the day was, as always, ambitious. But the benefit of a three day weekend is flexibility. So, after finally finishing the new flower bed that wraps around the porch (well, as done as I could be without buying plants), I took Marissa up on her offer to come hang out at their new pool.

Saturday's lesson: just plain ole relaxing is worth its weight in gold.

This is something I struggle with; a touch ironic, considering how messy everything around here is. I feel guilty about not doing anything for an ENTIRE afternoon. Oh, the sloth. It burns! Ha, literally, as I have a pinkish glow about my shoulders this morning. But yesterday, the longer I sat on the deck at Marissa's, the less guilty I felt. Probably not the independence our forefathers meant to be celebrated, but I felt free from the bonds of my to-do list.

So today I approach my list with renewed vigor. Sewing cushion covers? Thanks, I think I will.

Happy Independence day!


No comments :

Post a Comment