Monday, December 12, 2011

Friends' Thanksmas 2011

For the past few years, we've enjoyed a Friends' Thanksgiving with our dear friends and neighbors. We used to also celebrate Friends' Christmas, but between a December birthday, hunting season, and lots of holiday travel, we decided to compress the two events into one epic Friends' Thanksmas.

I love hosting big meals like this. It appeals to the planner in me - figuring out the menu so that it's a complementary meal that's ready all at once - as well as my inner punk Martha. Plus, it's about the only time I get to use the china and silver. And candles. And a tablecloth. And the leaves for the table. In a sense, it's pretty much the culmination of many of my childhood dreams.

I'm toying with the idea of doing a Cajun-ish meal, inspired by a recipe for a Cajun turkey I saw over at Epicurious.

How delicious does that look? Goodness gracious, I love me some crispy turkey skin! Although, I may spatchcock the turkey to speed up the cooking process...

I know that most of my peeps are down with spicy food, so I feel fairly confident that this smoked andouille sausage dressing recipe will be well received.

One of our friends will be bringing mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes. Another friend is in charge of salad and drinks, including mocktails - very apropos as neither of us will be drinking real cocktails this year.

Topping everything off will be a pecan pie, a la Justin Wilson - the king of Cajun cooking. 

Who's jealous?!

1 comment :

  1. Sounds very fun! Although you know I'm not down on the spicy foods...I'd be all over the potatoes :)

    ReplyDelete