Friday, March 30, 2012

A soupy mess

It's not 75 degrees in March anymore, but it's still super sunny and nice out (who ever thought DC Joie would think 44 degrees was nice out?). The second half of my strenuous hill walk, I was filled with anticipation - I was going to have such a good lunch.


It doesn't look like much, but this soup, which was supposed to be southwestern chicken tacos from the crockpot except I added broth when I shouldn't have, was absolutely delicious for dinner last night. Especially with some Tostitos on the side.

So imagine my sadness when I opened the bag of chips and this is all I found:


I mean, talk about your portion control!

And, in case you want a really delicious and stupidly simple recipe, here's how I made the soup (which can also be used, drained, as taco or quesadilla filling):

Place the following in a large-ish slow cooker
  • frozen chicken breasts (I used 2, which is plenty for several meals)
  • small bag frozen corn
  • 2 cans black beans
  • 1 can chicken broth (I used some brown turkey stock I made last year)
  • 1 jar salsa (highly recommend Pace's Garlic & Lime Verde Restaurant Style)
  • 1 packet Goya Sazon, sin achiote
Cook for 8 hours on low. Remove chicken and shred, then add back in.

See? Stupidly easy. And it's a total freezer/pantry meal that literally requires no preparation.

No comments :

Post a Comment