Tuesday, July 17, 2012

It's what's for breakfast

A few weeks ago, upon realizing that Matt was eating hot oatmeal with peanut butter for breakfast four days a week (gag), I offered to make him some overnight oats. He seemed to like them, so I thought I'd give them a try.

Yuck.

I guess I just don't really care for oatmeal? I don't know exactly what I disliked, but they were narsty.

But I was a little jealous of his healthy breakfast. Plus, let's be honest - for the past year I've been almost exclusively eating Cheerios for breakfast, and I was ready for a change. So I got to looking around the internet, as one does, and found this recipe for breakfast cookies. I liked it because it didn't have eggs, flour, much sugar, and looked as though it could be eaten in the car. That last one was hugely important to me, because 3 days out of 5, I forget to eat breakfast in my rush to get out the door.

After talking about making them for the past week, I finally broke down and actually did it last night.
Verdict: tas-tee!

I modified the original recipe a fair amount, because I only had one banana. I combined the following in a large bowl:
1 mashed banana
~2/3 c unsweetened applesauce (mine was homemade and chunky)
2 c old fashioned oats
A generous handful of chopped walnuts
A slightly more-than-generous handful of Ghiradelli mini chocolate chips
An obscene amount of cinnamon (I shook that shaker til the batter was covered!)
~1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Then I scooped out 9 cookies onto a cookie sheet, and baked at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Next time, I'll probably reduce the applesauce to about 1/2 cup, and add a dash of salt.

I'm working from home today, so I didn't need a transportable breakfast, but I enjoyed my 2 cookies regardless!

No comments :

Post a Comment