Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Busting a gut

While I start finish writing my race recap from the Army Ten Miler, I thought I would share with you the following anecdote:

My mother, my friend Jenna, and I were reading particularly funny blog posts over at Hyperbole And A Half Saturday night. My mom and I often get stuck in feedback loops of laughter. Add Jenna to the mix, plus the story of the magical dog who makes food, and it's a recipe for hysteria. I was bent over with my hands on my knees, gasping for breath, by the end of it.

It was really funny, ok?

So Sunday morning, I wake up bright and early. Because I'm lazy and am sporting a belly these days, I rolled out of bed. I did morning stuff. Finally, I got in the car to go to the race. I laughed at something someone said (or maybe at Dad, because he can't hear?) and ow! Belly. pain. Localized, sharp, only when laughing or sitting up - contracting the muscles.

Are you ready for this?

Because I'm pretty darn certain I actually busted my gut laughing.

The nurse at the ob's office agrees that I've probably strained a muscle in my abdomen from laughing. She suggested that next time I find myself overcome with uncontrollable laughter, I walk away.

Clearly she's never met me.

No comments :

Post a Comment